Week 1

I’m Jacqui Prober from Santa Maria, California in my first year here at UCLA. Growing up with a mother that is a school teacher and a father that is a physical therapist I was always introduced to the worlds of both art and science. Although I was aware of both disciplines, I could feel the divide that society has engrained between the two. From a young age I was always told that I was more scientifically inclined because I was not creative when it came to art. I believe this is where I cut myself short from exploring more of my artistic side. Now that I am here at UCLA and still in the process of determining my major, I am finding that I also do well and find interest in the humanities. Even though I lean towards more concrete ideas and facts, I am realizing that I am doing well in my humanities classes as well. There is also a clear separation between the two studies here at UCLA. The two disciplines are at opposite ends of campus which immediately keeps them separate. Once, you declare a major here at UCLA you may never see the other side of campus. This is the exact circumstance through school systems that Charles Percy Snow and other researchers believed to be causing the divide between art and science.
I am on the softball team here at UCLA which helps broaden my horizon of the people I associate with. Within our team there are a variety of majors and interests. If I were just going to school and was not involved with extracurricular activities I would be limited to only kids in my classes that were all on the same path as me academically. This is a hinderance to the students here at UCLA because they are never exposed to the students and their ideas on the other side of campus. The separation between the two sides of campus can also be seen with the architecture of the two sides of campus. The humanity buildings tend to be more curved edge and artistic, whereas the science buildings are straight edged and simplistic.
ucla-aerial-view_thmb.jpg BroadArtCenterUCLA-Image4-1200x600.jpg 

1decd2cc31ee019265e5f6295e18d54d.jpg

Works Cited








Comments

  1. I really agree with the feeling of division on our campus between science and humanity majors. I also felt that I had to make a choice between arts or sciences instead of embracing both, and had a narrow view of what it meant to be artistic or scientific. I also agree that everyone should attempt to get to know people with completely different majors or interests than you in order to gain new perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2

Week 7